One of the goals of Healthy People 2020 is to reduce health disparities among populations. Select one of the leading health indicators as identified by Healthy People 2020 and write a research paper of 750-1,000 words on the health disparities related to that condition. For the health indicator selected, the paper should include a discussion on the following:
- Definition of the problem
- Descriptive epidemiology (person, place, time)
- Etiology (causes, risk factors)
- What disparities do we know exist for this disease?
- Why do these disparities exist?
- What explanations have been offered or supported?
- What research questions have not been studied that may provide new, insightful information regarding this health problem?
- Why is it an important public health problem?
- What are some social, political, or economic barriers in our current health care system that impede disease prevention and health promotion for this health problem?
- How would you educate/disseminate information about this health problem to the public? (target group, financial constraints)
- How could one of a health administrator/manager’s general policies or policies specific to this health condition impact the health status of the target population?
You are required to use a minimum of three scholarly resources.
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a grading rubric. Instructors will be using the rubric to grade the assignment; therefore, students should review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the assignment criteria and expectations for successful completion of the assignment.
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin. Refer to the directions in the Student Success Center. Only Word documents can be submitted to Turnitin.