For health care providers, changes in governmental policies, local and national economics, and the need to integrate new technologies, tests, and procedures can all impact the financial situation of an organization. In addressing financial issues, a myriad of factors must be considered, such as the varying objectives of those providing care, resource availability, the population being served, and the implementation of government policies. As a nurse manager, you must consider the potential positive and negative impacts of new trends on your organization and all its stakeholders.
In this Discussion, you evaluate how emerging trends in the health care field impact health care decisions for patients, doctors, and nurses.
- Review the Learning Resources for this week, focusing on the role of nurse managers in making financial decisions.
- Conduct additional research from below and other relevant sources, to identify three emerging trends that are affecting healthcare todaySanford, K. (2011). The case for nursing leadership development. Health care Financial Management, 65(3), 100–104,
- King, M. (2012). Health reform: Special report. Health reform turns two: After passage of the Affordable Care Act, the work—and the criticisms—persist. State Legislatures, 38(3), 12–17.
- Studer, Q. (2010). Do your nurses speak finance? Health care Financial Management, 64(6), 80–84.
- Select one trend to discuss in detail and evaluate its implications for the delivery of care from the perspective of doctors, nurses, and patients.
- Reflect on how this trend might impact quality of care.
By Day 3
Post a brief description of three emerging trends that are affecting health care today. Evaluate the implication of one of these trends on the delivery of health care from the perspectives of doctors, nurses, and patients. Explain how this trend might impact the quality of care.