Cultural Competency Organizational Assessment and Solutions
Scenario: Cross, Bazron, Dennis and Isaacs (1989) defined cultural competence as “a set of congruent behaviors, attitudes and policies that come together as a system, that system, agency or those professionals to work effectively in cross-cultural situations”. Cultural Competency is vital to sustainability of a health care organization and the ability to provide high quality health care to the community in which serves. Cultural competency consists of a blend of ethics, values, morals, a health care organizations mission statement and the recognition of all employees, patients and visitors are and shall be treated equally.
A new community health center has opened in your county offering basic health care services and preventative care and education to migrant workers, illegal residents and recent immigrants. To ensure the health center promotes and establish a culturally competent environment, as the health center’s chief privacy and compliance officer (CPO) (CCO), you have been tasked to develop a cultural competency training tool kit.
Deliverables: The final product to submit is robust cultural competency training tool kit for departmental and organizational wide use. Your final submission must include the following listed below. Submit one (1) single Microsoft Word document along with an accompanying Microsoft PPT presentation at the conclusion of Week Five no later than Sunday, by 11:59 PM EST. This is a individual assignment.
- A 1-2 page proposal for language assistance as an effort to offer additional pay for bilingual employees willing to serve as a designated language interpreter
- Process identifying language interpreters
- Determine supplemental pay
- Schedule of interpreters (be sure schedule does not interfere with regular work schedule)
- Process to locate identified interpreters when needed
- Design an actual forty-five (45) minute to one (1) hour (approximately 15 PPT slides) virtual training session for departmental and organizational use on the topic of Cultural Competency (the intent is for a future mandatory automated training; therefore audio is required)
- Presentation can include clip art, links to additional sources
- Must include recorded audio of each presentation’s slide
- Topics must include at minimum cultural competency discussion: employees, patient care, importance, alignment with mission, vision of and values of the organization, define and discuss cultural competency, compare and contrast cultural competency and diversity, ethics, health disparities, impact on decision making, measures to establish and maintain a cultural competent organization and environment
- Using Microsoft Excel, Word or a survey software, design a tool for attendees to assess the cultural competency training
- Identify a list of cultural competency related domains and accompanying knowledge, skills and abilities for attendees to measure the effectiveness of the virtual training session
- Integrate data analytics to assess, evaluate and/or recommend local state and federal cultural competence (and/or related) regulatory compliance measures.
References & Resources:
Cross TL, Bazron BJ, Dennis KW, Isaacs, M.R. Towards a Culturally Competent System of Care: Vol I. Washington, DC: National Technical Assistance Center for Children’s Mental Health, Georgetown University Child Development Center; 1989.
Cultural Competence in Health Care: Emerging Framework for Practical Approaches: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiBhp2H4pPLAhXBmx4KHTvKCdcQFggoMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.commonwealthfund.org%2Fusr_doc%2Fbetancourt_culturalcompetence_576.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEtpXTbWj-AcrxWSKLsi9-bUYNBjw&sig2=eY9aOlw6Z3V17ABOGj6Sww
Diversity & Cultural Competency in Health Care Settings: http://www.matherlifewaysinstituteonaging.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/diversity-and-cultural-competency-in-health-care-settings.pdf
Tools for Assessing Cultural Competence Training: https://www.aamc.org/download/54346/data/tacct.xls
Movie “Language Barrier”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaVKy-2HWIo&WT.z_nav=healthcare-professionals%2Fresources-for-health-care-professionals%2Fhealth-equity%3BBody%3BBreaking%20Down%20the%20Language%20Barrier%20%E2%80%93%20Translating%20Limited%20English%20Proficiency%20into%20practice