Common Illnesses and the Use of CAM
7777 unread replies.126126 replies.
This week's graded discussion topic relates to the following Course Outcome (CO).
- CO1 Identify theories, concepts, and beliefs related to transcultural nursing. (PO 1)
Our patients come to us after exploring various avenues of self-help. At times, these avenues involve the use of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) therapies. Select a common (or not so common) illness/ or condition that affects a specific ethnic group/ or cultural group or vulnerable population.
- Name the condition/ or illness and the group/ or population.
- Identify two (2) CAM therapies that patients are likely to try before seeking (or in addition to) allopathic, osteopathic, or ayurvedic medical intervention for the illness or /condition.
- Discuss the effectiveness of each therapy you identified.
- Describe how you would answer an individual who asks you for your professional advice about the use of these CAM therapies.
Note: Do not discuss an illness/ or condition about which a classmate has already posted. The diversity will lead to a more robust discussion. There are many examples you may discuss, including sickle- cell disease in African Americans, constipation in the elderly people, or the use of Reiki for mental and emotional healing by Japanese people. Think of others from your practice settings or prelicensure experiences.