Week 7: Application of Nursing Theory to Practice
11 unread reply.11 reply.
This week’s graded discussion topic relates to the following Course Outcome (CO).
- CO1 Propose individualized comprehensive care by integrating theories and principles of nursing and related disciplines when planning comprehensive patient-centered care. (PO 1)
You are a professional nurse caring for Mr. R, a 58-year-old patient who recently underwent surgery for colon cancer that resulted in a temporary colostomy. Select one of the nursing theories from our textbook and address the following:
- How you would provide professional nursing care for Mr. R. using the theory you have selected? Be sure to use terminology from the selected nursing theory to explain your interventions.
- How can patient-centered care and the patient’s cultural preferences be enhanced by use of this theory?
- Relate applications of legal and/or ethical standards to this case study.
Search entries or author Filter replies by unreadUnread Collapse replies Expand replies
- Collapse SubdiscussionMARY Ann ZEISLERMARY Ann ZEISLERMar 31, 2018Mar 31 at 11:52amManage Discussion EntryClass,How many of us find nursing theory interesting? I doubt if there are too many of us who really get excited about nursing theory and how it can affect our daily practice. In particular, how it relates to our maintaining professionalism in our day-to-day interactions with others. I also think most healthcare facilities and/or organizations use bits and pieces from several of the theories even though they may state they base their mission and work on just one. In addition to the question above, please answer the additional questions below – it may take investigating your organization’s mission, etc.1. Has your facility adopted a specific nursing theory to guide all nursing care? Which one? Why was this decision made? How is the theory integrated into care by all nurses?Thank you in advance for all your hard work in the discussion!Mary Ann