N494: Essentials of Nursing Research
N494 Essentials of Nursing Research introduces the steps of the research process and the role of research in the practice of professional nursing. The methods and analytical tools required to critically evaluate nursing research literature are emphasized. Quantitative and qualitative approaches are highlighted. The focus of this course is developing the foundations for accessing and analyzing current nursing research literature to enable the professional nurse to apply research to current practice and issues. The skills of using technology to locate research information are developed, and the essential role of databases is explored. An understanding of ethical research practices is explored. This course prepares students to be critical consumers of evidence based research, and serves as a foundation for graduate-level nursing research courses.
By the conclusion of this course, student will be able to:
- Articulate the role of research in the development of nursing knowledge and evidence based practice
- Describe the basic concepts, techniques, and methodologies underlying the research process and their application in the study of nursing problems.
- Identify researchable clinical nursing problems with the purpose of improving patient outcomes
- Use information technology to retrieve hierarchical levels of evidence that addresses clinical questions.
- Utilize effective critical thinking and written communication skills in the critique of research for applicability to nursing practice.
- Integrate research findings into nursing practice to meet the changing needs of clients and professional nursing.
- Describe current research priorities in nursing.
- Identify legal, ethical and cultural considerations in research that involves human subjects.